Kuta, Bali, March 2012
days away from home i spent in the ocean
haranguing myself for strength and fearlessness ;
breathless (these roads are wilder than imagination) ;
on the borders of lucidity and stupor
stumbl-a-falling through alleys darker than night
the morning dark
finding fickle paths from dreams
1. i am sinfully in love with the pleasure of my own company
2. as much as i enjoy solitude, i much prefer to wake in two
3. new friendships are a barter – conversations, drinks, vitality, the promise of a good time are currency – to get the camaraderie i crave i offer pieces of myself. here is a smile for you, here is banter, here i rise to share an anecdote from life back home. the luxury of buddies slouching in easy silence is not mine for the trip. sometimes this is fatiguing.
4. humans are faceted and malleable (keep the stalwart ones), i have seen great tenderness in the wildest wolves and it is up to me to harness the best side of every person. yet remember: the easier people come, the fickler their hearts, the easier they go ; let them with nary a backward glance, this is important.
Kuta Beach, Bali, January 2012
5. if it is unknown, eat it, touch it, experience it. fearlessness and lightness – make room for the newness that will charge in – our world pulsates with promises for the claiming. there is so much out there i have yet to comprehend.
A ring of gold and the sun in it?
Lies. Lies and a grief.
- The Couriers, Sylvia Plath
What matter? Why, it will not hurt at all,
Our youth is supple, and the world is sand.
- Three Rompers, Wilfred Owen